Visas for Intra-company transferees

United States companies with branches or subsidiaries abroad or foreign companies with branches or affiliates in the United States may transfer their foreign employees to work temporarily in the U.S. under the L-1 non-immigrant visa. The L-visa may be granted for three years and is renewable for up to seven years. If the transferee is coming to the U.S. to open a new office, he/she may be granted a one year visa which may be extended after the U.S. business has commenced operations and the company is doing business both in the U.S. and abroad. Family members of an L-visa holder may be eligible for an L-2 visa. The spouse and children under 21 years of age may attend school. Also, the L-2 spouse is allowed to work with valid employment authorization issued by the USCIS.

To be eligible for an L-visa, the foreign employee must have worked abroad for the employer for at least one year within the preceding three years in a managerial or executive capacity or one involving special knowledge and will work in the United States in one of those capacities (not necessary the same one)

DISCLAIMER: The information given in this website is intended as general information only and is not a substitute for the services of an immigration attorney in your specific case.