Visas for Religious Workers

The R Visas may be issued to foreign religious workers coming to the U.S. in furtherance of their occupation. Religious workers include ministers of religion who are authorized by a recognized denomination to conduct religious worship and perform other duties usually performed by members of the clergy such as administering the sacraments, or their equivalent. A religious occupation means a habitual engagement in an activity which relates to a traditional religious function. They include: Liturgical workers, religious instructors or cantors, catechists, workers in religious hospitals, missionaries, religious translators, or religious broadcasters.

To be eligible for the R visa the applicant must satisfy the following requirements:

  • Must be a member of a religious denomination having a bona fide nonprofit religious organization in the U.S.;
  • Has been a member of the denomination for two years immediately preceding admission; and
  • Is entering the U.S. soley to carry on the vocation of a minister of that denomination, or, at the request of the organization, the applicant is entering the U.S. to work in a religious vocation or occupation for the denomination or for an organization affiliated with the denomination, whether in a professional capacity or not.

Initial admission on R visa is for 3 years and could be extended for a period up to 2 years. Total period of stay is 5 years. After 5 years must reside and be physically present outside the U.S. for 1 year, except for brief visits, to be eligible again. The spouse and dependent children of an R visa holder may be granted R-2 status.

DISCLAIMER: The information given in this website is intended as general information only and is not a substitute for the services of an immigration attorney in your specific case.